Quinoa makes an excellent healthy crust for your favorite fish fillets.
The first step is to toast the quinoa and then grind it into fine pieces.
Next, you dip your fish in a flour mixture first, an egg mixture next, and finally your ground quinoa.
At that point, it’s ready to bake in the oven, during which you can easily whip up some homemade tartar sauce to serve with it.
Frozen fish sticks get a (much-needed) healthy makeover in these family-friendly nuggets.
Any firm white fish will work—grouper, halibut, flounder, or cod.
Toasted quinoa crust lends earthy flavor and crispy texture while providing an extra dose of protein.
If making gluten-free, rice flour works like a charm. Otherwise, you can use all-purpose or whole-wheat flour.
Our homemade tartar sauce is enriched with Greek yogurt and fresh dill pickles so it won’t break the fat or sodium bank.
Serve these nuggets with steamed green beans or carrots for a fun meal with a sophisticated edge—one your kids won’t be able to resist!
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon salt separated
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon pepper separated
- 3 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon nonfat half and half
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Oil for pan frying (recommended coconut or olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 lb. Cod cut into 2-inch pieces
- Heat about an inch of oil in a medium frying pan on medium-low heat.
- Mix beaten egg with half and half.
- Sprinkle the fish pieces with 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Mix the flour with the cornmeal and 1 tablespoon each of salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Dip in buttermilk, flour, egg wash, and quinoa then place each piece in the hot oil.
- Fry for about 4-5 minutes on the first size and 2-3 minutes once flipped. The quinoa should be slightly browned and the fish should be white.
- Meanwhile in a medium size bowl mix together all of the tartar sauce ingredients. Cover in plastic wrap and place in the fridge until ready to eat.
- As the fish cook remove them from the heat and drain on a paper towel.
- Serve fish hot nuggets with tartar sauce